Early Learning Programme
At Home-Start, we know that children need a stimulating home learning environment to help them start school ready to learn and to reach their full potential.
Home-Start’s Early Learning programme has been designed to help families and their children get ready for the important first steps of going to school or nursery. They might want help with one, two or all of the steps below so that their child can:
- Arrive at school fed and on time
- Play and share with other children
- Recognise their own name in print
- Understand simple hygiene
- Dress and put on shoes
- Eat and drink unaided
- Cope away from their parent
- Use the toilet
Specially trained Home-Start volunteers can provide carefully chosen books, toys and learning activities which will help parents to:
- Engage with their child’s early learning
- Establish good bedtime and morning routines
- Access services like children’s centres / toddler groups
- Support parents to use positive reinforcement and praise
- Create a positive home learning environment.
Taking part in the early learning programme will help parents to make sure they and their child are ready to make the change from being at home, to going to nursery or school.
Support from Home-Start is free and confidential; the volunteer will visit the family at home once a week and will respect their privacy.
If you would like some further information or a chat about the programme please call the office.
If you would like to make a referral for the programme please contact the office to ask for a referral form.
We are particularly keen to work with families where children are getting ready to start school.